[pct-l] a new one from the minutemen

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Apr 21 20:39:44 CDT 2008

so, i was dropping 4 hikers off at the southern terminus this afternoon,
and as is a common occurence, a minuteman drove up to say "howdy." in my
experience, this tends to be followed up with some sort of chit-chat
about the illegal immigrant situation, usually in an attempt to feel out
what our position is on the subject. sometimes they're friendly,
sometimes not.

in this case, the guy immediately launched into "are you all registered
to vote" to which i responded "yes, but we're here to hike, not to
discuss politics." then he said "would you mind signing a petition to
support the definition of marriage as exclusively between a man and a
woman?"

i was really taken aback by this, and simply said "no, sorry." he then
said "are you speaking for all five of you?" to which i said "yes"
without hesitation, assuming the others wouldn't mind, which they
didn't. they were busy getting their packs ready and taking photos.

with that, he quickly sped away, deliberating leaving us in a cloud of dust.

i hope the pct trailhead isn't becoming some sort of magnet for broader
right-wing soapboxing.

girlscout