[pct-l] Water & Trail Report Big Bear Area

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Mon Apr 21 15:53:19 CDT 2008

I don't think I have ever received a report on water at Saragossa or
Delamar Spring since I've been compiling water reports. Saragossa does not
make much sense if Caribou Creek is flowing, unless desperate, as Caribou
is only 1.3 miles further than going off-trail to Saragossa. Likewise
Delamar is not needed if one stocks up water at Caribou, as it's only
another 1.5 hours to Little Bear vs. off-trail to Delamar. (I've been to
neither, if anyone has and can speak as to their quality and reliable in
last May or June...)

The real problem is that Doble should be a reliable water source,
maintained by the feds, but it has been less than reliable the last couple
years. One could argue the feds aren't doing their job, or that they don't
have enough money to do their job, but the fact remains that hikers need
water.

Likewise, the Third Gate Cache in the San Felipe Hills is a private groups
solution to the feds not drilling the well that was originally planned for
that area, or putting the trail on green Volcan Mountain to the west.

I found it interesting that the BLMs solution to the water system at
Walker Pass being inoperable was to have the hiker cache water there, or
rely on water cached there by angels.

Just observing, and wishing everyone a safe trip.

AsABat