[pct-l] Hike above Wrightwood report/Oh, the joys of no ice axe and/or crampons

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 21 11:47:52 CDT 2008

That confirms word I got on Saturday from an hiker who attempted to enter
the PCT above Wrightwood.  He could not find the trail for all the snow.
There was a lot of snow at Guffy Campground.  He was given a ride by some
guys who had gone up Baden Powell, but they had crampons and ice axes, which
were needed from the second switchback above the Vincent Gap trailhead all
the way up Baden Powell.  This section of trail is north facing.

We were warming up pretty nice here last week, but a colder front moved in
over the weekend, which turned all the melting snow to ice.

L-Rod