[pct-l] cameras...

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 21:09:55 CDT 2008

Taking a SLR is great for taking great pictures. I have hiked with a
professional outdoor photographer who took a 4" x 5" field camera and
supplies weighing up to 50 or more pounds.  He got some great shots!  I was
his 35mm Sherpa and would carry another 25 pounds of that gear.  Now this is
photography to the extreme.

When Long Distance hiking I have settled on taking just one camera now.  I
have used both small 35mm and digital and also large SLR types.

In a nut shell.....I will not take an SLR on any of my extended trips again.
Bottom line is that the Large SLR is a pain to pack and have handy to use.
I have tried multiple ways of carrying it (chest strap, fanny pack, around
my neck).  It ends up in my pack and I have to take my pack off to use it.
Take your SLR on a weekend trip and see if it is the camera to take.  I new
by day one on a one month hike that the SLR was going to be shipped home at
the next town.

On the other hand the small digital fits in a small case that is strapped to
one of my shoulder straps.  It is easy to get to and I hardly know it is
there.

The new point and shoots take great shots, and when weight is a big factor
on long hikes....smaller and lighter always wins on my hikes.

StarMan