[pct-l] giving back to the PCT

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Apr 19 21:20:26 CDT 2008

I would like to second the statements of L-Rod and Campy.  One of the
best ways to show your gratitude to the trail is to spend time doing
trail work.  The way I see it, there are three main elements that keep
this trail on the ground:
1.  The laws that protect it, within the framework provided by our
public lands system
2.  The feet that walk it, which keep the plants from taking it over
(Feet make the trail)
3.  The people that maintain it, whether paid or volunteer.

To get a feel for what it takes to keep it open, you can go to this link
and view pictures of the work done on just 25 miles of  CA Section C PCT
in 6 days this spring.  Wherever the trail has burned in the past two
decades or so, the work load is enormous, from falling trees and erosion.
> http://picasaweb.google.com/raydav94

If you have never done trail work, please consider doing so.  It is a
work of the soul.
Marion