[pct-l] heel calluses

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Sat Apr 19 13:43:05 CDT 2008

Calluses is/are kind of good and kind of bad.

The good part about them is that limited amount of build up is protection
for your feet.  Blisters generally don't form were "callusi" builds up.  I
even try to build up tough skin prior to beginning a hike.

Now the bad is that if to much builds up, then peeling starts and if fresh
skin is attached....."ouch"

I have used one of those files to remove some of the build up.  I just leave
some for protection. I have used some sand paper as well.  Hey I even once
used real "on the trail" pumice.  Just keep your eye open for a good rock!

Not to get to gross, but after my thru, I had some real sore and tender feet
when "ALL" of the callus peeled away.

I heard a story (possible Urban trail Legend) that after a thru hike, one
hiker went in for a pedicure with some real ugly post hiker feet.  The
Pedicurist was shocked at the site......At least they were clean feet!

StarMan (still mending the knee, I can now bend it.....yea!)