[pct-l] thrus behaving badly

RobTrailmail rob at trailmail.galbavy.de
Fri Apr 18 11:55:14 CDT 2008

I'm mostly lurking here but today I want to add
my 2 cents.

I totally agree with David and most of the other
postings here.

In my humble opinion hiking the PCT became kinda
like "mass hiking tourism" in the last few years.

New trail angels are popping up all along the way
each year.

Some thrus think that thru-hiking entitles them to
certain things and that it's the trail angel's job
to help out ("there are so many angels out there
anyway").

This attitude sometimes sneaks in without you
realizing it.

Some of the thrus I met in '04 - me included - were
showing attitude to some extent.

A thru-hike IS an accomplishment and a special
experience but because we are doing something special
we tend to think that we are entitled to something
special. We keep forgetting that there is no such
thing as entitlement in this case (as David said
before).

We are getting angry / annoyed ...

... when we don't get a ride right after arriving at
     the trailhead.

... if there's no beer left in the fridge of the trail
     angels.

... when there's no water left at a water cache.

... when the hotel owner charges you extra for extra
     people in the room.

... when the resort owner doesn't let you use the
     laundromat cuz he needs it.

... etc

I'm sure this was different, let's say, 10 years ago.
When almost nobody you met in towns actually heard of the
PCT and hikers really appreciated every bit of help they
got. (I wasn't around back then of course but that's my
impression)

I really will try to keep this in mind for my thru-hike
this year...

...and if I forget and start to show attitude again I
would politely ask you to remind me of my words from today.

Many of us are out there to actually find our way into
ourselves: the pilgrimage into the core.

So let's just not forget what drives us, why we are out
there, and maybe we need a little reminder from time to
time from fellow hikers, trail angels and / or the PCT-L.

Good luck to the class of 2008.

Hike on!

-Germanator-