[pct-l] Snow Conditions north of I-10

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 00:54:01 CDT 2008

There is "SOME" ice and snow above 7500 ft and on the north facing slopes all the way to the middle of section D..  Two weeks ago from Mission Creek to Onxz Summit we encountered 70% snow coverage.  Three weeks ago the llamas got turned around above Holcomb creek but my guess that would be almost snow free by now.  Three weeks ago I was on the Blue Ridge above Wrightwood and it was still full of snow but my guess that would be mostly gone by now.  Baden Powell and the ridge to Little Jimmies would NOT be snow free.

  So IMO - - - - if you want to be snow free the ONLY section would be from Islip Saddle East of La Canada to Rt 178 - section D&E.  Another option with "some snow" but hopefully PASSABLE you might want to try Onxz summit near Big Bear to Vincent Gap West of Wrightwood sections C&D.  Here you will encounter some snow but with some naviagation skills, some snow travel skills and a lot of guts it can be done ----- BTW a chunk of this trail near 3n16 is closed due to the fall wildfires.  A reroute was discussed last week.

  SB

  SB

ALAN ARTMAN <alanartman at msn.com> wrote:

We're NOBO and have had to get off the trail at Apache Peak (south of Idyllwild) due to snow, and would like to get back on somewhere north of I-10. If I-10 to Big Bear is not possible, what about from Big Bear north to Agua Dulce? Any advice? Thanks, Alan