[pct-l] miles per day

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:12:40 CDT 2008

Diane, we section hike in 200 to 250 mile blocks, and plan for 15 miles per
day. What others said is true. You do have to carry more weight when a dry
camp is necessary, but that is not every day.

The other thing is that Susan and I enjoy hiking together, but there is not
much conversation during the day, except at breaks, we stay within shouting
distance of each other, but usually hiking along with our brain totally
somewhere else. The time when you really appreciate each other is in the
evening and morning at camp. I hiked most of the JMT by myself, due to Susan
having an injury that took her off the trail. I found myself hiking much
longer days than usual, just because I didn't want to sit around in camp
with no one to talk to.

After a couple of weeks of hiking, we have found that doing the miles is
mainly a matter of putting the time in. If we want to walk from 6am to 7pm,
we will cover 20 miles, but we usually don't want to follow that rigorous a
schedule.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html