[pct-l] Gloves and sun protection

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Apr 14 13:14:16 CDT 2008

I've seen a few people use light "flaps" to protect their hands.  They look
like big round mitts, only there is only fabric on the topside to shield
hands from the sun. There is a loop (or a few) to hold the mitt onto the
hand.  The underside of the hand, and all the fingers, are exposed, so you
can grip trekking poles or whatever with your hand without the encumbrance
of gloves or mitts.  These "hand flaps" (my term for them) seem lighter and
cooler than even cotton gloves.

Protecting your hands from the sun is a really good idea.  They're one area
of your body that gets exposed throughout your life, and a spot where skin
cancers can result, especially after a lifetime of outdoor activities.

L-Rod