[pct-l] Mt Whitney

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Mon Apr 14 08:24:09 CDT 2008

Ask PCTA, but then ask Inyo National Forest if they recognize it (I've
heard some problems in the past). The Mt. Whitney Trail has strict
quotas that fill quickly. Yes, rangers do check permits there. Those
entering the wilderness on that trail have permit tags attached to their
packs, so those without permits are very obvious. I've been checked as
much as three times in a day when I've exited that trail coming from
another trail.

It would be much easier to get a permit to enter at Horseshoe Meadow
(the next trailhead to the south), but would add 2 or 3 days to your
trip.

AsABat

I do