[pct-l] Wild Trail Food

DAVCATDAV at aol.com DAVCATDAV at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 01:45:50 CDT 2008

30 years ago I contacted an international food trader and explained  that I
could get him all the chanterelles he'd ever want...he said there was no  real
market for them...Grubs can be hard to find..although if you find one it's
likely that you'll find a number of them nearby. Bracken fronds can be  common
and there's actually a market for them in Europe where they're made into
soup...All beetles are edible, or at least I think they all are,but some of them
can emit a must which tastes worse than cilantro (which tastes awful.)   Long
horn beetles are large enough to object.  Honey Bees are delightful  morsels,
but kill them first and remove the stinger.  Be careful with  slugs...they can
contain internal parasites which are...I assure you...just no  fun at all.
Best boil them in a pot of water for a few moments where  the will acquire the
delightful texture and flavor of styrofoam. Anyone  whose been to Mexico knows
about grasshoppers (pull the wings off...that way  they can't struggle,)  Ants
have a delightful formic acid sourness about  them...the bigger ones can
pinch your tongue.  Clean worms  by lightly squeezing the digestive juices out of
them; scrape off  the external mucus to taste  As for and berries or
mushrooms...just be  sure you have positively identified them. A lot of things are
edible but  not very tasty...Oregon grape is quite common in the  Pacific
Northwest...and the berries are edible but very sour and bitter...I  know people who
make Oregon Grape jelly..the secret is to realize sugar is  plentiful and
cheap.  I know the Indians here about used to use Salal as a  spice...I believe the
leaves are edible.  I have also heard the berries are  poisonous  Tree
cambium is supposed to be edible but I am not aware of  anyone eating it except that
it was from a cedar tree. Uh..I hereby legally  deny any responsibility for
your actions.

The most delicious thing found in the woods is the red huckleberry...the
blue ones taste like sawdust in comparison...When I was young my family would go
to Lewisville Park outside of Battleground, Washington where red
huckleberries  would cover the park end to end...I'd gather them up and chaw them
down..while  the good mothers and fathers picnicking there would demand I stop because
 they were deadly poison..only resulting in my willingness to tongue a banana
 slug.

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)