[pct-l] Avalanche/Flash Flood

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Sun Apr 13 18:17:30 CDT 2008

"While anything can happen, avalanches are more of a winter sports
phenomenon."

Depending on ambient weather, direction the slope is facing, wind, sunspots,
space alien visitation, etc etc, spring avalanches are quite common.  I have
no experience with the Sierras, but while avalanches might be --- sort of by
definition --- a winter *sports* phenomenon, they're not inherently a
*winter* phenomenon.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalanche#Weather
"A rapid rise in temperature, to a point significantly above the freezing
point, may cause a slope to avalanche, especially in spring."

Also,
http://www.mountain-guiding.com/avalanche/info/spring-types.html

If the slope is great enough (>> 25 degrees or so), and there aren't trees
on the slope (avalanches often recur in the same location), I'll keep an eye
out, particularly if recent weather has been significantly warmer than
previous, and on sunny afternoons in general.

	Brian Lewis