[pct-l] Snow levels around Whitney compared to 2006

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 11:22:57 CDT 2008

Yesterday hiked up and around Mt Whitney and the snow levels on the shady North Faces seem to be significantly lower than the first week of July in 2006. I reach my conclusion by only one observation - the switches from the Portal to Trail Crest had very little snow and the last time I was at TC  was July 2,  2006 it had solid snow.  So not much of a sampling but the Sierras have had a pretty miserable late winter for snow accumulation.  So unless we have a wet spring, entering the Sierras will be normal and for the adventuresome entering early might be a good option.

  SB