[pct-l] What does a hiker do ...

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 13 00:21:03 CDT 2008

while waiting for broken ribs to heal?

For one thing, he doesn't do any backpacking.  But ..... that hasn't stopped us from wandering through
Arizona, Utah and southern Nevada searching for rock art sites (and finding them!)
We've wandered in a large circle to some of the lesser known Indian ruins, petroglyph and pictograph sites -
places with names like Tuzigoot, Tonto, Casa Malpais, Besh Bah Gowah, V Bar V, Lyman Lake, Chloride,
Grapevine Canyon, Valley of Fire, Little Black Mountain, Santa Clara, Nampaweap and Snake Gulch.  And a
couple that we won't name or give directions for.

We also played tourist in Zion, Red Canyon, Pipe Spring and Toroweap.  We've seen some really exciting
and interesting rock art.  There is a lot of beautiful country along the Arizona Strip and we've enjoyed camping
surrounded by the multicolored cliffs.  We've even had a few really good wildlife sightings, including a herd of
desert bighorns in Red Rock Canyon and four condors circling the bridge at Marble Canyon.
 What next?  I think we're heading to Cedar Mesa in southern Utah.  There are a lot of canyons to explore there
that are full of Anasazi ruins.  It's the type of country that is fun to get lost in, so we'll give it our best shot.
 Jim's ribs are getting better, but they still aren't healed.  He can hike, and carry a light pack, but still feels it
every time he rolls over in bed and at the end of a long day.  He'll be glad to be able to put the pack on again -
soon.

The answer to the original question is simple -  If you can't do what you intended to do, then you have fun some
other way.  And we have.

Walk softly,
Jim & Ginnyhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/