[pct-l] SPOT Locator

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 16:32:42 CDT 2008

I don't have one of these, but I've done all my pre-purchase research and I
intend to purchase one shortly.  From what I've read, the device works most
reliably when it is laying flat (horizontal) and not worn vertically on a
belt or in a pocket.  In order to make the tracking function work, you would
probably need to figure out a way to carry it horizontally on your shoulder,
pack or the top of your hat.

IMHO, the tracking function is the least important and is really just a
gimmick anyway.  There are three other functions: OK, Help and 911.  These
are initiated by pushing a button on the device.  Of these three, the OK
function is the most important to me.  It sends a message to my wife (or
anyone else I designate) telling her I am OK at a particular location and it
keeps her from worrying about me. If she never hears from me again, she can
at least provide the SAR team with my last known location and the knowledge
that I would have sent an "OK" every few hours if I were able. This is my
main reason for carrying such a device.  I would use it at each morning
before I start off, at each rest break long enough to get a signal out and
in the evening when I've selected a campsite.

The Help button sends a message to whoever you designate and means you are
in trouble at a particular location, but not enough trouble to require an
official rescue.  I can see myself using this on the trail if I actually
have designated someone who has the ability to find my location on the map
and come get me.  I can also see using this at a deserted trailhead with no
cell coverage if I discover my car won't run.  I think it would be important
to work out a protocol with your designated recipient as to what type of
situation would cause you to request help and no rescue.  I have a hard time
seeing when this might be appropriate unless you have someone on your team
prepared to get you out even if you can't walk out yourself.  I would be
concerned about using this in a situation where I am, say, lost and in no
immediate danger with plenty of food and water, but it would depend, I
suppose, on who is receiving the message and what your agreement is.

Finally, the 911 function is for when the sh*t has hit the fan and you want
lawyers, guns and money ASAP.

As an aside, I recently bought a map of an interesting non-PCT hike through
the Pueblo Mountains in remote southeast Oregon between the town of Fields,
Oregon and the town of Denio on the Oregon-Nevada border.  There is no
official trail in this area and the hike involves locating a series of
irregularly spaced rock cairns along sketchy game trails and through 20
miles of open country.  The "Help" button would be singularly useless in
this environment because my support team would likely be 450 or so miles
away by road and unlikely to drive to Fields or Denio and locate me
off-trail any time soon after pushing the button.  The text on the back of
the map contains this interesting passage:  "An injury can mean that a
helicopter rescue team must fly you out.  Another hiker is required to go
for help.  The cost of such a rescue is the responsibility of the hiker."

I've never actually heard of someone being charged for such a rescue
performed by a taxpayer funded rescue operation in Oregon and I think an
actual airborne ambulance service might be covered by my health insurance,
but I suppose it is something to think about and I will probably be looking
into some form of rescue insurance.  It would clarify the decision to press
the 911 button a bit.