[pct-l] SOBO in July, snow levels in WA, the detour around Glacier Peak

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 12 07:12:06 CDT 2008

It's way too early to tell what conditions will be like in July, so
my advice is to  keep all your options open.

Mission Control and I had a chance to talk to the USFS ranger in
charge of the PCT in the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie district on our way to
the PCTA Trailsfest in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago.  He says the
snow pack in Washington is different this year than most years.  Mt
Baker itself didn't get that much  more snow than usual.  The snow
pack accumulated at lower elevations, so it may melt sooner and not
be much different than an average year.  It really depends on what
spring melt-off is like:  how warm it gets and when.  (IMPORTANT
NOTE:  He also announced that there will be BLASTING to rebuild the
PCT this year near Glacier Peak during the prime hiking window and
that it will be UNSAFE to take the real PCT around Glacier Peak.
The detour is the most beautiful place on the trail to me--see
journal entry June 23, 2005).

We live about 1 1/2 hours from Manning Park in the Fraser Valley,
which drains most of the snow melt from mountains on 3 sides.  Last
year we were under flood threat for quite a while because it seemed
like it was going to warm up fast.  It  didn't.  The snow melted
slowly, saving us from flooding.  Who knows what this year will
bring?  I can still see snow at about 2000 ft from my living room
window, but we're supposed to have a nice sunny weekend with
temperatures in the 60's.

Mongous and I did the flip-flop in 2005.  We decided about a week
before we flipped that we wanted to avoid the high snows in the
Sierras.  We were able to make travel arrangements for the train and
we were off the trail for about a week traveling and resupplying (and
visiting family.)  You'll be able to monitor conditions from home and
make your decision much closer to when you want to hike.

Lookout
Yarrow BC
http://trailjournals.com/lookoutandmongous/