[pct-l] you might be a PCT hiker if ....

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Fri Apr 11 22:07:43 CDT 2008

Hello from a long-time list-lurker.

I rarely troll REI-OUTLET.com unless I'm looking for some specific
piece of gear. Tonight it was MicroPur water tablets (which are never
on clearance, of course) ...
and I serendipitously came across Montrail Hardrocks in last year's
color scheme (the red) at $60. I flashed back to burning dividend
last year on *two pair* of Hardrocks I didn't even need yet when they
were $45 (REI will gather them from various far-flung stores and ship
them to your home store....) ... now I'm mulling getting a couple
more pairs at $60. Just to complement the SIX pairs I have in the
closet right now (each with a trail mileage/wear log clipped to the
shoelace)....

SO, it dawns on me you MIGHT be a thru-hiker if you have six
identical pairs of shoes in your closet, three of which never worn,
and you're considering buying two more of the same.

Good luck to the class of 2008. I'm sorry I'll miss the kickoff
again, 10 years running.

DP