[pct-l] Cascade Locks-White Pass Hike morphs into SOBO question

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Fri Apr 11 19:35:11 CDT 2008

Here's something I sent out a couple weeks ago in response to a similar
question...

The high country (near timberline and above) will likely be under snow
this year till late July.  That's typical for WA, and the snowpack this
year is close to normal, north of Stevens Pass, but above normal to
much-above-normal south of Stevens Pass.

If you could wait till July 10 or so to start (and push your end date
out about 10 days as well), I think you'd have a better shot enjoying
the high country with less snow.  And, if you can wait till then to
start, I'd recommend going starting in Canada and going southbound.
Even though the part of the trail that's between Rainy Pass and the
border is quite high, that part of the range is so wide that the Crest
is more like the eastern slopes of the range--snow doesn't pile up as
deep and there's more sunshine and warmer temps there than on the Crest
further south.  So that area typically melts out 10 days to two weeks
before the Crest in the vicinity of Glacier Peak and southward to
Snoqualmie Pass.   Most years the section north of Rainy Pass is
hikeable in early July, whereas the section from Glacier Peak to
Snoqulamie Pass still has lots of snow till late July.

IMHO the section of trail between Rainy Pass and the Canadian border is
one of the most beautiful sections.  It should be spectacular just
coming out of snow-melt.

If we get a warm spring, it might be possible to start at the border
around July 4 or so, but any earlier than that I think you'd be dealing
with a lot of snow in the high country.

Greg