[pct-l] Bon Voyage

Mike Sweeney msweeney at volcano.net
Fri Apr 11 12:29:00 CDT 2008

Just a note to wish all the 08 hikers a great and safe journey.  I'm writing a book about the PCT and have been researching stuff that can go bad and just want to throw out the following:

Please remember it can snow in the San Jacintos in May and can be extremely cold.   This is especially true if you are hiking "ultralight."  I know most everybody uses good judgement and will be ok but I have read enough about John Donovan to know that what happened to him could have happened to me (went in too early without enough gear and didn't use his best judgement - been there, done that).

Hike with others when going through or parallel to Cuyamaca State Park.  As noted by another poster - many mountain lion encounters have occurred in this area - more than any other area along the trail.  I don't know what the deal is but if you google it - it will get your full attention.

I guess the only other thing I would add is to be careful to have plenty of water and to acclimate to the heat in Southern Cal (I know everyone know this but it bears repeating especially for those getting a late start).  A gentleman from Wash. State died along the PCT a couple years ago when he ran out of water down south.

OK - one more thing - lightning is probably statistically the thing to worry about.  I've read a lot about it and franky there isn't that much you can do but here are some things the experts say:

If you hear thunder there is danger.

Seek lowest point and crouch on the balls of your feet away from trees.

If you are with others do not stand close to them.

Stay out of water - even puddles.

Avoid being near or touching metal.

Anyway - I think we are safer out on the PCT than on the freeways but my conscience kept telling me to post this just in case there is someone without a lot of experience out there who might benefit from this info.

Bon Voyage!

Mike Sweeney
PCT 1987-2007