[pct-l] Lessons from my Section A hike

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:05:27 CDT 2008

Great lessons learned. Thanks for sharing, Beeman.

I had to smile when I saw #7. We used to *hate* the gentle grade of newly
constructed PCT because it was frustratingly slow to get anywhere. When
possible, we'd take the original trail, which would zip directly up (or
down) to the desired point instead of taking us along several mile-long
switchbacks. In my PCT slide presentation, I had some pictures of old vs.
new and a bit about how much we preferred the old trail. (This bit also
included some digs at the construction crews who apparently liked to blast
any boulder or saw down any tree within 10 feet of the trail.)

But that was when I was 30 years younger. Now? Those gentle grades look a
lot better!

Carl
1977 PCT Kelty Kid