[pct-l] hitchiking

Jessica Winters jessicawinters at mac.com
Tue Apr 8 21:37:48 CDT 2008

As a solo women hiker....  I was terrified of hitchhiking alone.
Until I was forced to do it.  It really wasn't that scary.  In fact,
the nicest people ever picked me, always, and they say the reason
being was because I was alone.  It was easy for them to pick me up
and they didn't feel threatened.  If you ever feel uncertain, don't
take the ride
EVER!  I have only done this once and it wasn't a big deal.  When he
pulled over, I just had this feeling (which was probably
nothing) ...  I said "Oh darn, you know what I just realized, I
forgot my camera at my last break, I have to go and get it, thanks
for stopping" and pass up the ride...   I hope this helps.

To tell you the truth, I have made great friends hitching-- It's
usually another woman or family that will pick you up as a single
female hiker.  Even the older generation like my grandma will pick me
up!!  They are just as worried about you as your parents would be....

Good luck, and really it's an experience just as the hike is... enjoy
the hitching!  I have had some interesting experiences as I'm sure
you will.

Wildflower