[pct-l] Making Soda Can Stoves @ the PCT

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Tue Apr 8 14:42:05 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Donna Saufley wrote:
> Many will say that the KO doesn't add to the number of hikers on the trail,
> but I strongly disagree.  There are many who wouldn't make it out there
> more than a few days if they didn't have the one-stop shopping and
> hand-holding that the KO provides, and the guaranteed company of others who
> did do their homework beforehand to lean upon.

As far as the KO adding to the numbers, I can't really comment. However, I see
the KO as a place to meet and exchange ideas as part of the long term
preparation. i.e. Which soda can stove design is more efficient, or is a
propane stove (MSR pocket rocket) a better alternative.

> There's a fine line between kindness and enabling. Over time I've developed
> the opinion that if you haven't done your homework and preparation
> (including training, practicing with/testing your gear) before you attempt
> a 2,650 mile wilderness hike across mountains and deserts, you simply don't
> belong out there.  Cold-hearted?  Definitely.  But realistic.

In these parts, deserts are served in bowls, and our mountains can be climbed
in minutes (sometimes an hour or two). So using the KO as a jumping off
point, I get the chance to test gear and gain some experience of the terrain
likely to be encountered. Are you being "cold hearted", I don't think so - To
be brutal about it, if the hiker hasn't done the training & testing or
expects to be spoon fed along the way, then the nursery slopes or the beach
is probably a safer playground.

Regards, Paul.