[pct-l] Section E-F water, etc

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:30:53 CDT 2008

I was in this area April 3-6 doing some private caches for our section hike
in a couple of weeks. Cottonwood Creek 534.8 water still off, no cache.
Hiker note 4/2 from Bruce in highway 58 log said Robin Bird Spring 602.2
water was very bad. I met some hikers at Kelso Valley Rd. 616. They said
Robin Bird was bad, but lots of snow melt water for the next 4 miles, so not
a problem. Golden Oak spring 583.4 they said was dirty but ok. I tried to
drive to Jawbone Canyon pass and hike to Robin Bird, but too much snow on
Jawbone Canyon road to get thru. Lots of water at Kelso valley Rd pass and
Bird Spring Pass caches.

Stayed in Mojave at Days Inn. Close to post office but far from store. They
will hold my food box, and will pick up and deliver to trailhead at Oak
Creek or Cameron Rd exit for free if you stay there.  Pricey but nice and
very friendly. There is also a taxi service there 661-824-4242 or
661-600-2771. Charge is $2.50 plus $2.50 per mile, which works out to about
$25 to Oak Creek. Cell reception is excellent at Cameron Rd., but heard it
is bad at Oak Creek. Days Inn said to call about 5 miles out if you want a
pickup.

Also stayed in Lake Isabella. Isabella Motel funky, but looked better than
the alternative. Town almost closed up by 8:30pm. Found good restaurant the
next morning. Ranchers Roost or something like that. Across the street from
Shady Lady Bar.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html