[pct-l] Platypus in the desert?

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Thu Apr 3 22:20:32 CDT 2008

My standard carry is three 2.4L Platypi. 90 percent of the time, I'm
going out in the morning with only two loaded, at the most. The third
is for extreme situations (Hat Creek Rim, some stretches in Oregon,
etc.) and as a potential backup if one of the others fails.

In 4000 PCT miles over nine years, I've had two Platypi leak. Both at
exactly the same place: the point where the reinforced "shoulder"
meets the main bag. Both of these were normal wear-and-tear, not
related at all to all the rigors of the PCT. And in both cases,
Cascade sent me a new one no questions asked. They said guaranteed
for life and they mean it.

Don't worry about coddling the Platypi. I abused mine mightily, in
the desert and elsewhere, with no ill effect.

Incidentally, you DO want the tube and bite-valve to accessorize.

That's my two cents.

Best of luck to the class of 2008. I'll see you on the trail this
year (between Echo and Etna)...

DP