[pct-l] Trail Injuries

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 3 20:43:10 CDT 2008

Well, I hope I can give you an opposite view that is intended to help you
balance your "push on" perspective.  Mind over matter is important, but
there are limits and realities to deal with.  Years ago when I was a fitness
trainer, we always said pain -- real pain, not the "wah, wah, I don't want
to do this" sort of thing -- is the way your body tells you something is
wrong.  In my experience it is always best to listen to what your body is
telling you, even if it's not what you want to hear.

Here at Hiker Heaven I've seen a fair number of hikers who had to quit
hiking because they didn't listen to what they bodies were telling them,
which is often slow down and/or stop and rest until injuries heal.  Because
they pressed too hard for too long and didn't take care of themselves, their
hikes ended. Stress fractures are the usual culprit, but shin splints and
plantars also take their toll. It's very sad to see this happen.  It's even
more ironic to see young healthy people who are so full of energy and
strength but haven't learned how (or why) to pace themselves get sidelined
with injuries while wizened old timers pass them up, slow but consistent.
It's the classic case of the tortoise and the hare.

It takes time for the body to adjust to carrying 30 (or more) pounds of
extra weight, and for all the tendons and ligaments to adjust to walking
many miles a day. Large muscle groups adapt quickly, but training for
tendons and ligaments is a much slower process.  You can blow yourself up on
the first day if you don't take it easy and hike within your limits. The
first days and weeks should be a gradual process of allowing your body to
adjust.  There's a price to pay for most when they're too fast out the gate.

So, I hope this helps you.

L-Rod