[pct-l] Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 22:18:37 CDT 2008

Sly,
My son and I did this last year, though we did not exit via Whitney Portal.

Cottonwood Pass is about 1000 feet lower than New Army Pass, but it is a slightly longer trek since it is further south than New Army Pass.  We came up Cottonwood Pass, and would do it again.  We did a big loop and eventually came out on New Army Pass.  The views approaching and leaving Cottonwood Pass are nicer than those east of New Army Pass, but the New Army Pass escarpment is something to behold.

Tom KI6ASP

---- Sly <slyatpct at aol.com> wrote:

Hey, a guy on another forum was asking about this hike and I told him
I'd try to find some answers.  I know you can take Cottonwood Pass but
is New Army Pass any shorter?  What's the preferred route and mileage
from each.  Also, up and down aside, is there a another, shorter route
over another pass? Finally, what's the best way of going about getting a
permit and will he have any problems?

Thanks,

Sly