[pct-l] WATER!

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 12:37:41 CDT 2008

Paul,

You metion in this thread that you would have been in serious trouble if the water at 3rd gate was not there.  I am curious, how much water did you leave SC with to make this 24 mile stretch?  So, often we hear on this list that these water caches should not be counted on.  Did you count on it being there and would have been in trouble if it hadn't been there.

Planning for a 24 mile water stretch is not difficult.  Carry 6-8 litters of water   If you can't carry enough water in the ultra-light pack, use a different pack when it is required to carry more water.  This seems to be more appropriate than putting yourelf at risk.

Don't get me wrong, I think what Charlie does is admirable.  But 400 gallons?  Let's see, if 400-500 people start the hike that is Emergency Water at the rate of nearly a gallon per hiker.  I suppose that this is no longer one of the caches that should be identified as "do not rely on" cache.

Yeah, I'll catch heck with my opinion but given that this is an open list I want share my opinion even if they do differ.

Elevator

From: "Freiman, Paul" <pfreiman at ucsd.edu>