[pct-l] crocs are heavy....

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Apr 1 21:03:28 CDT 2008

Good evening, All,

I agree with Greg in that I have no interest whatever in "camp shoes" of any
configuration.  As close as I'll come is some kind of wading footwear for
local training hikes around Mt. Hood.  Trail #600 is the 40-mile Timberline
trail that circumnavigates Hood, and in doing so it necessarily crosses
several dozen glacial creeks and rivers of varying size.  In lieu of walking
the entire way with wet feet I often remove my shoes and socks and wade.
Wading
bare-foot across glacial streams can be damaging because the beds of these
creeks are often nothing but bare, jagged rock fragments which not only hurt
my feet, but can cause dangerous cuts.  As a result I like to carry
something to wear.

Flip-flops don't hack it for me, whether they are the factory-built type or
the duct tape and insole type.  They are good on the bottom, but in a swift
or raging current I find it nearly impossible to keep them on my feet.
About the only hope is to keep the toes pointed into the current at all
times.  Also, it's not uncommon to step in a crack or turn the ankle by
stepping on an unstable rock, in which case my ankles get beat up.

I've carried Teva sandals at 22.2 oz., or Chaco sandals at 29.7 oz. but
besides being off-the-chart heavy, they still provide little protection for
my ankles.  One of the better items is nothing but an old pair of
heavyweight wool socks.  They provide less protection on the bottom, but
overall they are a pretty good choice.  I find the fabric of the socks has
better traction on rocks than rubber soles.  One step better is to cut an
old set of factory foam insoles to the minimum dimensions of my foot profile
and cram them into the socks.  They weigh little more than whatever socks I
use.  The only thing I don't like about that arrangement is they drip while
hanging outside my pack, even if I wring them out after use.

Currently what I use is a pair of inexpensive "water shoes" which are made
of foam and fabric, with rubber soles.  My pair weighs 8.6 oz. so I wouldn't
take them on a long hike, but they are great for protection and traction and
they don't retain much water.

Steel-Eye