[pct-l] RE.8cy VS 4cy and seeing the light

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 22 00:44:48 CDT 2007

I love this topic! Mainly because it is so misunderstood, and so far from being true.

When I was a child, my father and I would pack our heavy gear up into the high sierras. We would struggle and exhaust ourselves till we reached our destination, and then camp and fish the high altitude lakes and streams. Those times were grand and I will always remember them with great appreciation. We would chose a different trail most every time and explore hidden lakes, and other remote places.

After many years of torturing ourselves with oversized packs, we began to realize we did not need a lot of things that we always brought. We began lightening our loads, traded our levi's and combat boots for nylon, polyester and running shoes.

This was also about the time we began walking long distances, and finding pleasure in covering more ground in less time. In fact we were not struggling anymore, but making last minute changes to our plans and exploring the next lake or climbing another peak. Our summer's backpack trip had evolved.

25 years later, When I took off from campo, I did not run, nor did I walk in some form of tunnel vision, without taking notice to the world around me. If it was the work out that I long for, I would simply go down to the high school track and spin circles till I dropped.

I walked a simple 2.5 miles per hour, I took breaks on almost every high point and water source. I stopped to watch deer, bear, elk, goats, a lion, marmots, and even the cows. I witnessed eagles, hawks and owls, as well as trout and salmon. I took notice to many animals that people with hiking poles or who walked in packs would have never saw.

I stayed out of towns, and slept right on the trail nearly every night. I walked early and watched the crack of dawn turn into a beautiful sunrise, only to watch the sun turn into the most gorgeous sunset. I walked into the silence of the night, and felt the forest change its character. I was never in such a hurry, that I would not sit down and talk, or walk a while with another hiker. I became comfortable, relaxed, and at home. For the trail and I had became one, as we made our way through the west.

I long for next year where I plan to lower the unassisted record another 7-9 days, and if you ask why, I'll tell you, because "seeing the light" is what it's all about. tattoo-joe