[pct-l] New speed records & the crazy ones

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Sep 17 06:00:40 CDT 2007

Brian,
You are so right....I am also proud to be considered one of the ''Crazy
Ones'' and would have loved to meet ''Earl'' and shake his hand and tell him
how much I admire and respect him for starting this
''Crazy Revolution'' or shall we call it ''Evolution''?

It seems not much has changed since ''Earl'' started this ''Crazy
Evolution'' except the ''Ultra Light''
evolution has made the ''Crazy Evolution'' even crazier..........We ''Crazy
Ones'' still get slammed
by the ''Purists'' for hiking to fast and not enjoying our hike.

They just don't understand us......but we ''Crazy Ones'', we understand each
other and that, to me,
is really the only thing that matters.

JMT Reinhold
One of the ''Crazy Ones''

Flyin' Brian wrote:
A banner year indeed. It looks like the CDT yoyo may be claimed as well.

Being called "crazy one" is a real honor IMO. The forerunner of us all, Earl
Shaffer was called "Crazy One." When he became the first documented
thru-hiker of the AT in 1948, he faced skepticism and criticism that we can
scarcely imagine today. People's first reaction was that he couldn't have
thru-hiked the AT because it was impossible. After he overcame the skeptics,
the critics jumped in. He faced so much criticism for hiking "too fast" that
his trail name became "Crazy One." Earl died in 2002 before I summoned up
the nerve to introduce myself, and I really regret not doing so. He inspired
thousands to follow in his footsteps.

Sometimes the only difference between crazy and visionary is perspective.

Flyin' Brian

JMT Reinhold wrote:
This has been a banner year for speed records on the JMT  & PCT.
Tattoo Joe set a new record of 79 days, 21 hrs, 42 minutes for the PCT.
Michael Popov set a new record of 4 days, 5 hrs, 25 minutes for the
unsupported JMT.
Sue Johnson (Stinky Feet)  just set a new record for the supported with
support team JMT.
She did it in the amazing time of 3 days 15 hrs, 32 minutes Mt. Whitney -
Happy Isles  and
3 days, 20 hrs Whitney  Portal  - Happy Isles.

I met Sue on top of Mt. Whitney during her attempt....Just in case you guys
are interested, Sue
is a nice girl with a great set of legs.

I know.......I know..... the Purists are going to be howling    '' I can't
understand why anybody in
his or her right mind would want to speed through a pristine wilderness like
this''.
I say.........HYOH........there is something to be said about setting high
goals and then achieving them.......the pain & suffering will soon be
forgotten, but the memories, they will last a life time.

I think Brian said it best when he once told me......."Reinhold, many folks
do not understand us,
they  do not understand the crazy things we do, It is the crazy ones like us
that understand each other''.

So I say to all the crazy ones be proud you are one of the crazy ones for we
truly understand
each other and our accomplishments, it is the other folks who don't really
understand what they
are missing.

JMT Reinhold
The crazy one and proud of it.