[pct-l] Giardia

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Sep 14 16:29:06 CDT 2007

My concern about these Giardia debates is taking either extreme position.  Saying that all water in the backcountry has it is wrong.  Saying that it doesn't exist at all is wrong.

____________________________
Please read the article

http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/pcs/articles/giardia.asp

Giardia can exist, and does in most water, including San Francisco's.
>From the article - "Recall that San Francisco water can contain a
concentration approaching 0.12 cysts per liter, a figure now seen to be
higher than that measured anywhere in the Sierra." The point is that in
a high percentage of water sources where it is found it does not exist
in high enough concentrations to result in sickness.

I think the main point I was trying to make is that it was the filter
companies that created the market/need for their products, not good
scientific data.  Filtering or using chemicals is a personal choice.
However, unless we question what we are told is true our personal
choices will reflect good marketing.

I have friends who read the article that continue to treat everything
they drink, even a rill at 12,000' where you can see the snowbank 20' up
the hill from where the water comes.  They say they would rather be
"safe than sorry."  That's the effect of good marketing - instill fear
and provide a means to buffer oneself from the  fear - filters/chemicals
buffer against the fear of giardia, not giardia itself...

An interesting discussion...

Jeff, just Jeff...