[pct-l] A word on Records

Junaid Dawud jdawud at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 18:43:46 CDT 2007

Well

Everyone certainly seems to be getting themselves
worked up here.  Lets see if I can rattle a few cages
with my 2 cents.

I've met hikers who don't sign registers because they
just don't feel like it and others who don't because
they want to remain 'unseen'.  Most sign because it is
a fun  way to see where your hiking buddies are,
express some humor or art, relate a story or just
leave your mark.  Now I think most who sign the
registers realize the possibility that the info
contained in those registers could wind up anywhere
and sign it anyway.  Most aren't concerned that
someone might find out what pace they hiked or if they
skipped.  I've seen entries where so-and-so was
letting some hiker friend know that they had skipped
up trail for whatever reason and they'll be waiting
for them at such-and-such a place.  I just read some
entries at monument 78 (Tattoo Joe and Just Dave) who
listed their times to the minute and some section
hikers who just finished 20+ year section hikes.  I
doubt any of these people would object to that info
being public (they did write it down for strangers to
read and wrote it in tones dripping with the
excitement of accomplishment).

Now as for releasing names and IDENTIFYING INFO
obtained from permitting procedures, NO WAY.  If the
PCTA feels like going through the trouble of
extracting the data (# thru permits issued each year,
etc) and making the anonymous data available, OK.

I personally signed most registers last year and was
very pleased to find the ones at the border and
manning intact this year so that I could read the
entries of my friends who made it all the way last
year.  It was very nice to have that record, to share
in the joy of their accomplishment.

Rattle Rattle.

-----------Speshul41

mex->snoqualmie 2006