[pct-l] tent paranoia

Rod rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:26:48 CDT 2007

I used a Tarptent (floorless two-man 2003 Squall) on my PCT and CDT
thru-hikes.

The principle issue on the PCT was neither warmth nor condensation, but
bugs. Far more nights were too warm rather than too cold, at least for
California and Oregon.  Based just on weather, I'd rather carry a
sub-one-pound ultra-lite tarp for the nights that you can't cowboy camp
(sleep under the stars).  But the bugs were the reason I appreciated the
Tarptent. Inside the tent, I could sleep on top of the sleeping bag, but
cowboy camping I had to climb inside the bag and was often too hot.

Steady