[pct-l] Hiking Alone

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 28 20:22:04 CDT 2007

Joann -
After reading this whole thread I'm still sorta puzzled although I'm not
exactly sure "why".  Something just doesn't fit.  So I'll throw this out and
see where it goes.

My wife hiked the AT in 1988 - alone.  She started the AT again in 1992 -
alone.  To my knowledge, she never had the kind (or at least the level) of
concern that has been expressed here.  There were certainly other hikers who
"were" more paranoid than she was.  Meaning - more concerned about personal
safety.

For myself, as a male, I've never had any concern about "my" personal safety
on any trail.  And if I were to be that concerned, I could certainly be
termed "paranoid".  On the other hand - there are absolutely places that I
either don't go at all - or don't go without taking precautions.  And in
those cases, I am definitely "paranoid".

The meaning of the word is flexible and relative to the person and
situation.  It is NOT limited to the dictionary definition quoted in this
thread (mental illness).  That definition is much too narrow to be useful in
any reasonable discussion.

I consider much of the concern about safety on the trail to be a mild form
of paranoia.  And I do NOT consider it to be a bad thing.  Nor do I consider
the use of the word to require apology in this situatiion.

BUT - there's another side to this - for those few who might have gotten
this far ---

Long ago and far away, I spent considerable time talking to those whose
paranoia about the trails exceeded mine.  I did NOT ignore their concerns -
nor did I consider their paranoia to be unjustified - nor did I put them
down for it.  What I did was to give them advice that was mostly just plain
common sense security measures that everyone should take - whether male or
female.  Some of it was the same kind of advice that Gail posted.
Eventually the results of all those conversations came to roost on our
website at:

http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP safety1.html

and

http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP safety2.html

Meags might do well to read those pages if she's still looking for
information.  They were originally written for AT hikers, but they apply to
all the long trails.

Finally - being paranoid does NOT mean that "they" aren't after you.  <G>

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/