[pct-l] Fwd: Re: Hiking alone

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 22:12:17 CDT 2007

g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:08:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: g l <gailpl2003 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Hiking alone
To: Denis Stanton <denisstanton at mac.com>, Pct-l at backcountry.com

Thank you for understanding Denis.  Clearly words carry connotations, otherwise all words would be interpreted equally.  And even though I still don't consider anything I said as "excessive caution", I appreciate the more positive connotation.  Again, even using ALL the things I recommended to Meagan, I STILL  had a terrifying experience when I ran in to a man on the AT with a hand gun.  It was a close call.  So, one cannot be careful enough!  (Molly and Jeff were murdered on the AT the year before I hiked).  I was merely passing on suggestions that I had read from other hikers (authors)......and I was grateful for each of their ideas, as some I hadn't thought of.  They were invaluable on the trail.  Thanks again...........

Denis Stanton <denisstanton at mac.com> wrote:
On 28/10/2007, at 12:18 PM, Greg Kesselring wrote:

> Why is someone using the word "paranoid" considered rude?? It's
> just a word that describes a state of mind.

Actually it's a word that describes a mental disorder, a subtype of
schizophrenia, according to the definitions found by a Google search
for "define: paranoid". From this definition I can quite understand
how someone could be offended at the implication.

The word has become commonly used by people not intending to be rude
and I'm sure that the original poster on pct-l intended it in a non-
offensive way. She might have said "excessive caution"

Denis

http://mail.yahoo.com