[pct-l] Hiking Alone

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Sat Oct 27 12:54:32 CDT 2007

"I am sure that this gets asked all the time.  I have done a search but
haven't been able to find anything so here I am asking everyone here.  I am
a 28 year old female in good shape.  I am preparing to hike part of the
trail next summer over 6 weeks.  How safe is it for me to be on the trail by
myself?  I am guessing that it is no more dangerous to hike by yourself than
it is to travel in the US by yourself.  I mostly concerned about sleeping in
a tent rather than in a car or hostel.

meags"
Yes, basically it is safe; very safe. My biggest concern is always injury, not problems from other people.

I respectfully disagree with Gail's, if you will allow me, paranoia. Although I too wear a ring on my left hand; and, if you set up camp and a group comes into your area you don't feel comfortable, move. Other than that; relax and have fun.

The AT, from what I've heard, is more dangerous because it is so near major cities and the trail crosses, crosses and crosses many roads, busy roads. As I'm sure you know that's not the case with PCT.

I too use a tent. My intellect tells me it is ridiculous to think a tent offers any kind of safety; emotionally I won't go without my tent and love using it. (Sorry guys I guess a woman's thing -sorry to women who don't feel the same- it feels like I'm playing house and helps me feel safer. Something tells me I'm going to be sorry for admitting this publically!).

Anyway, as a section hiker it is my opinion that you need not worry about other people. Though it does help if you have some extra "common sense". I would suggest a very good first aid kit. Regardless, go have fun and take lots of pictures!   :)

are we there yet