[pct-l] girls hiking

t.n. turner barnumbaileypdx at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:41:48 CDT 2007

Hey Meagan,
This past hiking season (spring/summer/fall) I hiked 1600 miles, almost all of California and parts of Oregon and Washington (but I live up here and hike these two states all the time). I hiked by myself most of the time, there were some who really thought I shouldn't be and wanted to 'hike with me' for whatever reason. And sometimes I hiked with other folks, sometimes I chose it, sometimes it just happened. I can't think of any truly scary human moment while on trail.

That said, I was careful about who I admitted I was hiking by myself to, groups of men that I didn't know - No, I didn't offer any information about my hiking partners or where I would be camping that night! Groups of day hikers/tourist, not too concerned about them and they were curious about what I was doing. I did get extremely tired of answering the same questions about my safety, my sanity, whether my parents/partner/husband/whomever "let me" do this, wasn't I scared/worried/etc. So other than that, I had a great time, met some absolutely wonderful people and truly enjoyed hiking and camping by myself. There were days that I was very happy to have someone to hike with and some that I asked someone to go on without me, but it's not scary out there until you get to where civilization is, that's where the truly scary people live!!

I slept in a tent most of the time, small one person, under 2 pound tent. I did that because I hate bugs! Not too worried about snakes, scorpions, bears, cats, coyotes, but bugs, eeewww!! So, that's my 2 cents. Love the hike will finish it up next summer and probably try again in the near future for a true thru!
Tammy