[pct-l] FW: Nikon D40X

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 24 22:14:53 CDT 2007

Bob wrote:

I plan to carry a Nikon D40X with a 18-200 lens on the trail in 2008. It's
on the heavy side but good pictures are important to me and I'm giving up
other things I would really like to have along to help offset the extra
weight. My problem is figuring out how to carry it so that it's protected
and handy.

I'd first tell you to think again about whether you really want to carry that kind of camera on a long-distance hike.  I'm an amateur photographer myself but one thing I've realized is that, for me anyway, I've got to decide whether a given trip is primarily about hiking or primarily about photography.  I find it really hard to do both things well at the same time.

I've carried a full-blown SLR with me on past PCT section hikes and while I did get a few shots that I probably wouldn't have gotten with a compact digital, I also missed a lot of shots that I *would* have gotten with the compact because the SLR was buried in my pack and I didn't want to spend the time and energy to stop, take off the pack, dig it out, take the picture, then reverse the entire procedure.  This year I instead carried a very small (but reasonably high-quality) compact digital in a little case attached to one of my should straps and it was overall a much better hiking experience and I also got a lot more pictures of stuff I wanted to remember.  I could whip out the camera, take a picture, and put it away again in a flash.  Perhaps I didn't come away with as many "suitable for framing" shots but I figure I can always go back to those special places in photography mode and do about 5 miles a day.  <grin>

If you're set on your SLR, then I don't really have a good answer for you.  Carrying it in the pack is safe but really inconvenient.  However, I can't think of any alternatives that are both safe for the camera (protecting against bumps, dirt, and water) and comfortable for the wearer (light weight, not in the way).  I've thought about it off and on for a few years and I just talked myself out of the idea altogether.

Eric in Seattle