[pct-l] Thanks so much everyone!!!

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 24 14:53:46 CDT 2007

Just a quick note to all our wonderful friends out there that we are indeed fine.  I can't express adequately how much your messages, care, and concern mean to us, and how much we appreciate your thoughts and support.  Special thanks to Jim Payne for posting on our behalf.

The Agua Dulce/Buckweed fire, which became the Canyon Country fire, started west of us and was blown to the southwest by the fierce Santa Ana winds (the most violent and halacious winds I've ever experienced).  One of the spot fires burned less than a mile from us, but was driven in the other direction.  While we were very lucky this time, it's hard to know that so many others weren't so lucky and lost it all.  Our hearts and prayers go out to them, and all those who are anxiously waiting to find out if they still have a home to go back to.

We packed to evacuate in the middle of the night Sunday when we thought the fire was on the next ridge.  Turns out it was the Sierra Pelona ridge, some miles distant, and it was an illusion of being closer than it was.  In retrospect it's pretty funny, but the terror was quite real at the time.  We're kind of glad in a way because we learned what it really takes to pack up and load two horses, seven dogs, three cats, two birds, and all of the paperwork and pictures we'd want to save.  The lessons learned:  emergency preparedness is no joke.  Have your stuff ready to go well in advance; have a list handy and a plan in place to help you think straight. If danger looms, get ready, even if it's not immediately threatening. I also learned I need to thin out some of the stuff we call important, where possible.  I'm not unpacking any of it until we get some moisture to relieve these ultra dry conditions.

There was a sobo here, waiting out the wind storm, who helped us a great deal through this experience (he was a real trooper to get up and help us pack in the middle of the night).  We feel very bad that the forests closed and cut his hike short, after coming such a long way.  The closures left him with little choice but to end his hike and go home, which he left for this morning. I'm willing to bet his mom is relieved he's on his way there and won't be in harm's way out here.

It's good to be back on the PCT-L, and to hear from so many of you.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

L-Rod