[pct-l] Powerline Threats to the PCT

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Oct 24 13:32:20 CDT 2007

I wonder if people remember several months ago the controversy of the proposed powerlines along the PCT near San Diego.  The current fires have severed several of the external power links to San Diego County and they are facing the possibility of rolling blackouts as they are struggling to meet demand with whats left.  This is likely to cause a lot of political pressure in the near future for the construction of more power lines to link the growing area to more external grids.  If you felt that the idea of powerlines running near the PCT was a bad idea before, then you should remain viligant for the next couple of years as we are likely to see even more proposals.  I'm not against more power line construction as I personally like having electricity, but we need to make sure that political pressure doesn't cause a rush to a poor solution that threatens the PCT.

Also, please keep us Southern Californians in your prayers until these fires are contained.

-Sean