[pct-l] Karma? And Tarptent

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:29:12 CDT 2007

So I'm driving home from work tonight and see a guy with a pretty nice
pack hitch hiking.  Its dark, almost 9:00 and the PNW trail roadwalks
along the hwy there (speed limit 55.)  Its still about 5 miles to town
and this guy looks done in.  There is also nowhere to camp and no water
nearby.  I make a u-tuen at the next available place and another to come
up behind him, about a mile and a half.  The guy throws his pack in the
back of the truck with ease and jumps in.  He's $hitfaced!  I mean, I
have a drink or two almost every night but this guy had a snoot full!
Anyway, he's already in so I start driving.  'Need a motel?' I ask.
'No, trying to get to Oak Harbor' he says.  He's already past the turn
off and 30 miles out of my way round trip.  I tell him that.  'Well, my
girlfriend lives in Skyline, can you take me there?' he askes.  That's
only about 10 miles round trip and he gave my $2.00 for gas.  I took
him, luckely the girlfriend was home.  Sure hope I still get a couple of
karma points even though he wasn't a real hiker.  I'll probably need
some next summer from somewhere on the JMT....

Also, received my Tarptent today.  Only seven business days after
ordering.  I had it seam sealed as well and asked for an extra gear
pocket for my glasses.  I don't think I got that.  I wasn't charged
anything for it and the invoice says a gear pocket was already
included.  I won't know till this weekend.  I'm pleasenty surprised by
how small and light weight it is.  Can't set it up here in the boat but
I will, without fail, use it this weekend somewhere.  The instructions
look a bit confusing but I'm sure they will make sense when I unroll and
set it up.  I'll let you all know how it works out.
Beyond this point
There be dragons...

Chris ~ S/V Drifter
Anacortes, WA. ~~~_/) ~~~