[pct-l] The oddness ain't the list :)

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 23:47:22 CDT 2007

o.d,

For a guy who coined the original term for slackpacking, you are one sanctimonious fellow who takes himself way too seriously. To paraphrase Bill Shatner: It is just an internet hiking forum! Get a life!

I'm just a humble outdoors person. I camp, I hike, I do the occasional slow trail run, I love to cross country ski. I'm not a distance hiker..I just like being outdoors.  I occasionally distance hike to be outdoors in the same way I ski to be outdoors.

Anyway, what you don't see me do is judge other peoples hikes. .

It ain't gossip. You missed the point of my original e-mail.  To put it bluntly, (I'm an East Coast transplant, we are good at that),
you are sounding a little high and mighty. In the original thread. In your Mountain Gazette correspondence (some of which I admittedly agreed with) and now this thread. And  you refuse to try to see anyone's point but your own.  The value of a hike is not what a o.d. coyote says, it it ain't what Paul Mags says...it is what each hiker thinks. I suspect my late grandfather got more out of his garden than you and I did in XXXX miles. Perhaps his horizons were limited? BTW, I did not cuss at you..it was more of general exclamation to people who think like you. See the difference? :)

Tell you what, come to Colorado. You sound like you need a good hearty camp meal, a camp fire and some peppermint schnaps in the cocoa. (Thanks Marta!).  Since you are so enamored by my use of the "dialetto", I'll even make you some  pasta fazool. (That macaroni and beans). We'll talk about the world according to you, you'll mention the mania of record breaking and then name drop people who have done xxxx amount of miles. IT will be fun!

>>If you could find your way not to join in this sort of activity the
 next
>>time an opportunity arrives, that would be good.

Sigh. You missed the point of the e-mail in the first place.  But we are going to spin our wheels at this point. Let's just agree to disagree. Capish? (more dialetto!)

I'm a low life person with limited horizons who obviously  just doesn't get the world according to o.d coyote.
You are ..well,  since you do love the dialetto, the word to describe  you would be "cafone". :D

If you write back, I promise not to! Let's keep it that way since we both have better things to do (and so do other people who are sick of this limited e-mail exchange). I  have to get ready for cross country ski season. You have to tell the whole world how will that you will NOT  tell anyone about your hikes. ;)  Seriously, this is my last word.

Happy Trails!

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com