[pct-l] RIGHT ON !

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:46:09 CDT 2007

In 2005 I started in Campo with the intention to thru-hiking solo. You see, I had a lot of personal issues to work out both physically and mentally, and I hoped to solve these issues by the time I reached Manning.

On my second day it was raining and cold. I met a guy who said I could take the floor in his hotel and I would be more than welcome. I later regretted not taking that offer while I sat under my tarp 2 hours later. By the end of the next day he came flying by and we both had a laugh. We continued to hike on and off with one another to Kennedy Meadows where the pile up of hikers had either flip flopped or were waiting to make there entrance into the snow bound sierras.

It was in those days that we became good friends. Maybe it was the fact that we were sharing the moment of a special time and place or maybe it was the crazy conditions we were progressing north in. I know I probably drove him crazy from talking and watching tv 24/7 in the hotels,but he always seemed to wait for me a top the next pass. He probably did not know it then, but not wanting to let him down is how I got in shape.

When the snow became less of an issue, he took off and I tried like hell to catch him. I then had my solo hike even though I was following the same footsteps to Manning. That summer I learned so much of myself, I lost 75 lbs, hiked the PCT, and met a friend for life.

This year I started nearly last with the hopes of catching him and turning around and walking back. I did not do one nor the other. Today he made it back to Campo, where he started nearly 6 months ago. He may get mad at me for posting this, for he is humble and does not want the attention. But he is my friend, and I am proud that he saw it through. Congratulations Eric for your completed YO-YO, your 5th thru-hike, and for doing it with style. But most of all I thank you for being my friend. CHEERS BROTHER!