[pct-l] Mt. Bikes on the trail

Lars Nilsson lars at standardarmament.com
Wed Oct 17 09:25:43 CDT 2007

"There's an assault brewing on the parks here. The ORV and mountain bike
crowd are trying to get the Mill Creek Addition to Del Norte Coast
Redwoods SP opened to them. Do any of you have pictures of trail damage
caused by ORVs and mt. bikes, particularly in far northern California
and southern Oregon -- PCT or trails west."

I hike, but my sons bike.  They are courteous and stay mainly on fire
roads but do enjoy single track riding as well.  They resent the
outright banning of bikes on certain trails.  There are "bad apples" in
all groups.  There are wannabee ultralight backpackers who allow their
alcohol stoves to blow over in wind and start fires, causing far more
damage than fat tires.  There are hikers who insist they are "stealthy"
enough that bears will never find their food and so they don't need
those pesky, heavy bear cans.  Too few of us truly practice "leave NO
trace;" do we ban backpackers or demand personal responsibility and
concern/respect for the back country from all who enter?

I am not suggesting that we pave the trails or put up neon signs, but
there should be some compromise that allows more people to enjoy the
land in their own way.  Woody Guthrie sang "this land was made for you
and me".  As hikers we recognize HYOH to mean that for some the fastest
wins as does the last one to Canada (assuming Campo is your trailhead).

Lars Nilsson

TrailSnail