[pct-l] hiking canada to mexico

jeffreyn jeffreyn at sonic.net
Tue Oct 16 16:35:22 CDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:47:09 -0700, Robert W. Freed
<robert at engravingpros.com> wrote:

> ... I think the JMT is easier south bound. But after walking that far
> south you'll be skipping over those 12,000 ft peaks any ways. ...

I concur.  The late Pete Starr, who wrote one of the early JMT guides,
called the southbound increases in peak height "the grand crescendo of the
Sierra Nevada," or somesuch, so in that sense SoBo is easier.  Regardless,
my experience is that once you've done a few days on the trail, you're
just rolling up and down the passes, and whether they're at 10,000,
11,000, or 12,000 feet really doesn't matter.  Still, there's a lot to be
said for having a little downhill, too.  :-)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0871561727