[pct-l] Excessive Information Gathering on Hikers

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:21:52 CDT 2007

I think I should jump in here with some unrelated but relivent
experience.  Every pilot knows that they should file a flight plan so
that SAR knows where to start looking if you are seriously overdue.
Every sailor knows to file a float plan for the same reason.  Every
hiker is also encouraged to file a hike plan.  These plans are all kept
by some supposed responsible person or organization BUT...  PLANS
SOMETIMES CHANGE!

I once filed a three stage float plan with Vessal Assist.  I was to go
from LA to Two Harbors, Catalina Island, then stage 2 to Santa Barbara
Island, and stage three, back to LA.  I arrived at 2 Harbors and closed
the first leg.  I hit high seas and strong head winds upon rounding the
north end of Catalina and opted to run back to a safe harbor.  I never
opened leg two, but when I failed to close it on time, they initiated
the overdue vessal protocal.  Luckely, I found out about it within an
hour.  I was ashore without my cell phone and had to go back to the boat
for something and saw a message on voice mail.  They had called my
parents, the harbormaster in 3 harbors and the CG was broadcasting my
overdue info but had not actually launched SAR yet.  I have never filed
a float, flight, or hike plan since.  This is my personal choice, and
should I get into serious trouble, then its on me.  I have to side with
the 'don't have me rescued' folks on this.  I do however carry a
personal EPIRB just in case.

That is Emergency Position Indicating and Reporting Beacon.  If I set it
off, a computer screen 'somewhere' lights up with my position (lat/long
within 50') my stats, meds, medical condition, and all sorts of info
that I tell 'them,' IE high BP, non swimmer, etc.  It's about $500 and a
bit heavy to hike with but better that a false SAR mobilazation IMHO.

Beyond this point
There be dragons...

Chris ~ S/V Drifter
Anacortes, WA. ~~~_/) ~~~