[pct-l] It's All in the Timing huh?

Jon Akerman jonakerman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:48:56 CDT 2007

Hi all:

Thanks for your replies to my first email. I want to open another can
of worms: when I first noticed the thru-hikers typical miles per day
(20, right?), I thought that was a little much for me (because I'd
really, really like to take my time in this thing, and I'm not an pro
backpacker). Now, I know the seasons don't really allow us to take too
much time, and there is that perfect window b/t May & late September.
Well, has anyone, or have you heard of anyone, stayed on the trail for
an extended period of time? As in, hiking half the trail, then
spending the winter in a trailtown, or when the northern snow melts
off in late July? As in, hiking 2/3rds of the trail then resting until
Spring. And, I'm curious to know if the answer for me is to leave
earlier in the year, so instead of May it would be leaving Campo in,
say, March -- maybe February -- to give myself plenty of time before
Winter comes. Oh the questions, the questions...!

For now,

Jon