[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 5

Scott Polewach spolewach at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:38:49 CDT 2007

Kathi,

If you want your hike enough you will make it happen.  I worked two 50 hour/week jobs for 6 months and other than hiking stuff I didn't spend money other than at the grocery store and on rent.  I saved up enough money in that six months (working crappy jobs, really) that i was able to afford a half-thru hike of the AT before I headed out west, and still had leftover money to put towards the CDT when I got back.  It's like anything-if you want it enough you'll do what is necessary to get it.

I know several hikers that owned their own business, and when they went away to hike they had another person run it.  When they returned, they realized that their presence was not necessary for their business to run, and were able to pretty much retire right then and there.

I also hiked on the cheap--I bought in bulk and did maildrops (USPS flat rate boxes), didn't eat out, didn't stay in hotels/hostels, and generally didn't even go into towns for the majority of my hike.

You can easily hike, gear, airfare/transportation and all for $4000.  Saving up $4000 over 6 months is not difficult at all.  I'd make sure to save up enough money that you can afford good gear though (And make sure you get good stuff the first time so you don't have to waste money re-buying.  You also want to be comfortable enough in the mountains that you won't have any desire to check into a hotel.).

Hermes

"Stuck in acid, you will rust
Time will turn your bones to dust
Keep your dreams, don't sell your soul
Be careful"

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:52:36 -0700
> From: Kathi <pogo at zamika.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Being Able to Make the Trip
> To: "pct-l at backcountry.net" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello All

I have been a long time "watcher" of the PCT-l. I was hoping to be able

to do a thru-hike of the trail in 2008 but my life is not coming

together in a way that makes it possible. I have had the dream since I

was about 20 (I'm 41 now) and I just can't get it out of my mind.

I would love to hear how other people have been able to manage their

life to make their dream come true. I own a small business and am

finding it hard to 1) save the money needed; and 2) get the time off

from owning/operating my business. If you have a similar situation I

would appreciate hearing how you are making it happen for yourself. I

really would like to thru-hike rather than section for many reasons. I

got Yogi's book last year and read through that and saw how some people

did it. I would like to hear more stories if you've got 'em.<br>

Kathi<br>