[pct-l] Hello All -- First Timer

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Mon Oct 1 12:35:27 CDT 2007

Hi Jon,

I have not thru hiked the PCT, but have done lots of hiking in
Washington State and have done some sections of the PCT here.  One thing
I can tell you is that in a typical snow year, the trail is not hikeable
until early July and in some years even early July would be pushing the
season.  If you're willing to deal with solid snow at elevations above
5000 feet, you could conceivably start in mid-to-late June.  Another
problem with a June start is that most years, our June weather sucks,
and decent hiking weather doesn't arrive until after the July 4th
weekend.  I have sat out snow storms in the high country of the North
Cascades on July 4th weekends.

Going from North to South would put you on the section of the PCT in WA
that stay higher longer, near and above timberline, than any other
section.  If you started before early-to-mid July, you'd be on solid
snow pretty much all the way to Stehekin.  And then you'd have large
sections of snow as the PCT roller-coasters its way south to Snoqualmie
Pass.  That's a long way to go on snow.

I've given this idea some thought because the South to North hike has
its own problems, not the least of which is trying to make it thru
Washington State before the weather closes in for the winter, which in
some years happens in mid-to-late September, some years not till late
October.  This year the curtain has already come down for the season and
began doing so a couple weeks ago.

The best time to hike the PCT in WA is mid-August to mid-September.  If
you're willing to put up with bugs, then any time after mid-July also
work.  But these dates just don't work for an end-to-end thru-hike in
one season.

One other thought:  You might wait to make the decision about whether to
go North to South or vice versa until April.  By then we would know how
deep the winter snow pack is, how it compares to normal, and
approximately when the high country would open up.

Good luck!

Greg Kesselring